Wednesday, March 31, 2010

One Painted Wall; 3 Dingy Walls

Over the course of the past two weeks I have been to the doctors office 5 times and have had multiple tests including blood draws, CAT scans, etc. I went in for a simple problem and left with 3 new problems. Why is it that in business we have to 'solve' problems and in medicine they only 'find' problems?  It reminds me of trying to paint just one wall of my house.... it makes the rest of the walls look old and dingy.


In business painting just one wall doesn't help your customer service image. You can say what you think your customers want to hear (unlike doctors), but the reality is they will only see the 3 dingy walls or the 3 new problems. Take this picture, for example. (Yes, I have an obsession with clean bathrooms, given my background in restaurant and visitor center management.)

Although the management tried to "do" customer service and the bathroom was not that dirty, the door (where the sign was posted) was not reflecting its message. Take time to look at your business and life. See it through the eyes of others. Pay attention to small details. Allow for error, plan for corrections, and recalculate your course.

I am feeling much better, am looking for the small details I may have missed and am continuing a forward path to good health.

2 comments:

  1. Hello...So nice to meet you tonight in class tonight! As an obsessed (in a good way) blogger I appreciate every bit of your advice.
    I love how your mind works in your current blog entry because not everyone would look at a shabby looking wall and wonder about the message it could send to customers. Very clever! Like you, I worry about presenting myself as a professional even though my business is far from traditional. In these tough economic times every detail needs to be examined thoroughly, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post - and nice eye picking up the small details. Wish more restaurants and businesses could have that eye sometimes.

    Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete