Friday, September 10, 2010

The Big (m)E

Those of you who know me (and follow me) know each year, in September, my life stops as I know it and I, along with 75 of my closest friends, volunteers, and associates, head down to Springfield Massachusetts to run the New Hampshire Information Booth at The Big E.  Someone recently asked me why I do it. The answer is simple, I love the camaraderie of the event (oh, yeah and they pay me ).

Yes it is tough work preparing for the event. Yes it is tough on the body standing on a cement floor for 12 hours every day for 17 days (although I do come home twice this year!). And yes, it is tough on the psyche to be "on" for 12 hours a day greeting between 50,000 and 150,000 each day! But the hardest part, for me, is the food! The first year I gained 10lbs while I was there. The next year almost as much. Last year I decided not to try and I didn't gain (or loose) one pound. Go figure!



This year I had and idea. I decided not to diet, just to eat "good-for-me" food. Try to eat whole foods and try to eat something raw at each meal (fruit, veggie, nuts, etc.). Seems simple. I've been trying my theory out this past week and I have lost 5.2lbs. I've been eating anything I want with the exception of fast and highly processed foods.

In preparation of leaving next Thursday, I've baked some of my favorites. Apple Spice Bran Muffins and Buckwheat Pancakes in muffin form (I LOVE them as pancakes, never tried making them as muffins before but figured with NH Maple Syrup readily available in the NH Building it will be good no matter what!). I've also packed prunes, raw sunflower seeds, raw cashews, and walnuts. So I'll be set for breakfast each morning.

I NEVER WANT TO
LOOK LIKE THIS AGAIN!
My theory is that if I have to document my Big E eating journey here in my blog, in front of you and the world, it might help keep me in check. Rather than posting the foods I've eaten, I am going to post the foods I DIDN'T eat, but wanted to! I'll post pictures and stories of my adventure. Let me know your thoughts, your ideas, and if you know of any "good-for-me" food stops inside The Big E. If you are visiting, stop by the Information Booth in the New Hampshire Building and say HI!


 Here are some new Big E foods I may be featuring but won't be eating:
  • Fried Jelly Beans
  • Fried Butter
  • Fried PB&J Sandwich
  • Fried Cookie Dough Bits
and my last year's favorite: THE CRAZ-E BURGER (only 1,500 calories)
Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment